Walking the Talk
Joanne is an award winning researcher and consultant in higher education with several years experience in Canadian post-secondary education. Her career includes serving in various senior leadership roles within the post-secondary sector on stakeholder boards and at one of Canada’s largest institutions as a registrar and assistant vice president. Her scholarship research interests focus on student success and mobility.
A former president of the national registrars’ association (ARUCC, 2012), Joanne actively supports post-secondary organizations and government by leading large-scale projects, evidenced-based research, and cross-sector consultations to advance best practice and student success. She provides her institutional clients with expertise in a broad range of areas including pathway development, strategic and organizational reviews, service improvements, and policy development and standards creation.
Joanne has led and authored several national studies including creating Canada’s first national transcript and transfer guide and a peer-reviewed national study on international transfer and exchange assessment practices.
Joanne created the Groningen I.D.E.A. Hub in 2018. This is a fully integrated workflow system to support the curation and approval process of innovative international initiatives focused on student data and credential exchange. This project results from her support of the international Groningen Declaration Network, an organization dedicated to enhancing student mobility through digitization and data portability.
Among her many projects, Joanne is currently the Executive Project Consulting Lead for the ARUCC Groningen & Student Mobility Project. This initiative is focused on bringing a national student data exchange network to Canada to enhance student transfer and mobility.
- Pan-Canadian Consortium on Admissions and Transfer (PCCAT)
- Association of Registrars of the Universities and Colleges of Canada (ARUCC) – honorary member
- Canadian Post-Secondary Electronic Standards User Group (CanPESC)
- Ontario Undergraduate Registrars’ Association (OURA) – honorary member
- American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers (AACRAO)
- Groningen Declaration Network
- Post-Secondary Electronic Standards Council (PESC)
- The Association for International Credential Evaluation Professionals (TAICEP) – international
Keynotes, Presentations, and Workshops
As a sought after thought leader, Joanne has presented at well over 200 provincial, national, and international conferences around the world. Those below represent a sample.
Keynotes and Plenaries
- Council on Articulations and Transfer, New Brunswick Summit, Supporting Next Generation Mobility, Saint John New Brunswick – October 2018
- Ontario Council on Articulation and Transfer (ONCAT) annual Student Pathways in Higher Education conference, Near and Far: Supporting Student Mobility Across Diverse Dimensions, Toronto, Ontario - May 2017
- Western Association of Registrars of the Universities and Colleges of Canada (WARUCC) conference, Culture, Diversity, Inclusion, Regina, Saskatchewan – June 2019
Presentation: Developing Canadian Higher Education Capacity for International Credential Transfer Assessment
- The Association for International Credential Evaluation Professionals, Vancouver, British Columbia – October 2019
- British Columbia Council for International Education, Whistler, British Columbia – June 2019
- Pan-Canadian Consortium on Admissions and Transfer, Regina, Saskatchewan – June 2019
- Western Association of Registrars of the Universities and Colleges of Canada, Regina, Saskatchewan – June 2019
- Groningen Declaration Network Meeting, Puebla, Mexico – April 2019 – in collaboration with Dr. Rob Fleming, executive director and co-chair, British Columbia Council on Admissions and Transfer (BCCAT) and Michael Winsemann, director, transfer and technology, BCCAT
- Ontario University Registrars’ Association annual conference, Toronto, Ontario – Feb. 2019
- British Columbia Council on Admissions and Transfer (BCCAT), annual JAM conference, Vancouver, British Columbia - November 2019
- Association of Registrar’s of the Universities and Colleges of Canada biennial conference, Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island – June 2018
- Pan-Canadian Consortium on Admissions and Transfer (PCCAT) annual conference, Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island – June 2018
Presentation: Supporting Next Generation Mobility: Exploring the Possible
- Ontario Colleges Committee of Registrars, Admissions, and Liaison Officers’ (CRALO) annual conference, Kitchener, Ontario – November 2018
- Ontario University Registrars’ Association (OURA) annual conference, Toronto, Ontario – February 2019
- Western Association of Registrars of the Universities and Colleges of Canada (WARUCC), Regina, Saskatchewan – June 2019
Presentation: Alberta Transfer Student Success Research
- Alberta Council on Admissions and Transfer (ACAT) annual pathways meeting, Edmonton, Alberta – June 2018
Presentation: Core Concepts of SEM
- Ontario University Registrars’ Association (OURA) annual meeting, Toronto, Ontario – February 2017
Presentation: Advancing Student Mobility for Canada
- ONCAT Conference, Student Pathways in Higher Education Conference, in collaboration with Charmaine Hack, past-president, ARUCC (2016-18); registrar, Ryerson University - April 2018
Supporting Next Generation Credentialing Practices for Student Success & Transfer
- Council on Articulations and Transfer, New Brunswick (CATNB) Summit - November 2016